“For crying out loud Terry, why do you keep bringing up race?”
“By bringing up race, does that amount to playing the race card?”
Yes, I hear those questions, or variations, from time to time. But the truth is that race continues to bring itself up, so the issue needs no heavy lifting from me. Just watch the news.
Now as I’ve said many times before, by not talking about race we are in fact talking about race. The old saying, “your silence speaks volumes” is an applicable truism here. Astute people are smart enough to notice what’s talked about and what’s not talked about, and often wonder why.
So what do we do?
Well, before those ambitious enough to give a race discussion a try, the advice here is hold off until you do some introspection and serious grappling with some thought provoking questions. So let’s start with the former before we move to the latter.
First, imagine yourself exclusively with others who look like you for reason of racial background (black, white, Asian, Latino, etc.), and you all are in front a big screen TV set when one of the following images appear on the screen; the late George Floyd, Barack Obama, Donald Trump, CNN’s Anderson Cooper, the Confederate flag, Black Lives Matters protesters, police officers (the majority of them white) patrolling your community.
Now, what does your typical conversation consist of when confronted with any of these images in the “safety” of your own group? How would that conversation stay the same or differ – if it would – if others of another race were present?
Okay, let’s assume that we’ve now piqued your interest in the potential for talking about race in a multiracial context. But before taking that leap, here is a list of questions you may want to consider:
- What do you want to accomplish with such a discussion?
- Who, ideally, should participate in and facilitate the discussion?
- Would the session be more meaningful if potential participants had pre-existing relationships (knew each other) beforehand?
- Should the discussion include the concerns of those not black, i.e., Latinos, Asians, etc?
- What are the necessary rules for engagement to be established at the outset of the session?
- In the startup of the discussion, how best can one convincingly make the case to unsure whites that becoming proficient in dealing with race is in their vested self-interest?
- What more likely than not would cause some participants to retreat into silence during a dialogue about race?
- What are some of the legitimate issues and needs many whites have when it comes to race, perhaps those they may be reluctant to express?
- How to you make if safe for white participants not to worry about asking the “wrong” question?
- How do you make if safe for African Americans to express themselves honestly without worrying about coming across to others as the “angry black man/woman?”
- What are some typical questions about race whites, blacks (and other people of color) may harbor but don’t dare to ask?
- If you deactivate the “booby traps” of finger-pointing, blame, guilt and other hot buttons from the cross racial dialogue, what are the chances for breakthroughs and new possibilities?
- Should retreats into silence be allowed in the conversation? If yes, what are the risks and consequences of such allowances?
- How do you make it okay during the conversation for people to be vulnerable, and to interrupt those who seek to exploit that vulnerability?
- How does one “reel in” the strongly opinionated and help them to stay open to – and not dismiss – the realities of others?
- What are signs that the conversation is flowing along productively? Unproductively?
- If you remove “being right” as a factor, how can you protect the feelings of those who are invested in always “being right”?
- For those who prefer to put metrics around the effectiveness of the conversation, how do you help them remain focused on the key issues when things cannot always be measured?
- Say, for example, that a black colleague was an unwanted recipient of some material he/she finds offensive. As a white colleague, what support do you think he/she needs from you? What would hold you back from providing that support?
- Say, for example, that a white colleague is unfairly accused of racism and you know that that is not the case. As a black colleague what support do you think he/she needs from you? What would hold you back from providing that support?
- If you are a manager or leader, what would you like to get out of participating in a discussion on race? What would you like for your direct reports get out of such a discussion?
- Reread and reflect on the preceding questions. What new ones need to be added to make your conversation a lot more meaningful?
© Terry Howard is an award-winning writer and storyteller. He is also a contributing writer with the Chattanooga News Chronicle, The American Diversity Report, The Douglas County Sentinel, The Atlanta Business Journal, The Echo World, co-founder of the “26 Tiny Paint Brushes” writers’ guild, and recipient of the 2019 Dr. Martin Luther King Leadership Award. He can be reached at email@example.com
28 thoughts on “Ready, willing and able – to talking about race!”
Your article is very nice thanks.
Pretty! This has been a really wonderful article. Thank you
for providing this information.
I am sure this post has touched all the internet users, its really really fastidious post on building up new website.
Hello there! Do you know if they make any plugins to help with Search Engine Optimization? I’m trying to get my
blog to rank for some targeted keywords but I’m not seeing
very good success. If you know of any please share.
I was recommended this blog by my cousin. I am not sure whether this
post is written by him as nobody else know such detailed about my trouble.
You’re amazing! Thanks!
This information is worth everyone’s attention.
Where can I find out more?
Hello colleagues, pleasant paragraph and nice arguments commented here, I
am in fact enjoying by these.
My partner and I stumbled over here from a different website and thought I might check things out.
I like what I see so i am just following you. Look forward to finding out about your web page yet again.
I used to be able to find good information from your articles.
There is certainly a great deal to know about this
topic. I love all of the points you have made.
Your method of explaining the whole thing in this article is genuinely pleasant, all can easily understand it, Thanks a lot.
Have you ever thought about including a little bit more than just your articles?
I mean, what you say is important and everything. However think about
if you added some great graphics or video clips to
give your posts more, “pop”! Your content is excellent but with images and videos, this site could undeniably be one of the most beneficial in its niche.
It’s awesome designed for me to have a website, which is good in support of my know-how.
I am really thankful to the holder of this
web site who has shared this wonderful paragraph at here.
Hmm is anyone else experiencing problems with the pictures on this blog loading?
I’m trying to figure out if its a problem on my end or if it’s the blog.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Wow, marvelous weblog layout! How lengthy have you been blogging for?
you make blogging glance easy. The total look
of your site is wonderful, let alone the content!
Hi there everybody, here every one is sharing these knowledge, thus it’s
good to read this webpage, and I used to go to see this website all the time.
This article is in fact a fastidious one it helps new the web viewers, who are
wishing for blogging.
You actually ensure it is seem really easy with your presentation however i find this matter
to be really something which I do believe I might never understand.
It seems too complicated and very broad in my opinion. I’m anticipating for your
upcoming post, I’ll try to have the hang than it!
Also visit my webpage; RayleneATosi
i love this flawless article
Appreciate the recommendation. Let me give it
Also visit my web-site: ClarkGDobler
We stumbled over here coming from a different page and thought I might check things out.
I really like what I see so now i’m following you.
Anticipate exploring your online page again.
my web-site; travelers notebook inserts standard
hello!,I adore your writing very a lot! proportion we keep in touch more about your article
on AOL? I require an expert for this area to eliminate my
problem. May be that is you! Looking forward to see you.
Have a look at my page stickers for gift
I simply wanted to develop a simple remark to be able to express gratitude to you for those remarkable ideas you are posting at this site. My incredibly long internet look up has at the end been recognized with reputable points to go over with my colleagues. I would express that we site visitors actually are rather lucky to be in a remarkable website with so many lovely people with helpful basics. I feel very grateful to have discovered your entire webpages and look forward to many more pleasurable moments reading here. Thank you once again for a lot of things.
I have to show thanks to you for rescuing me from such a difficulty. After surfing through the world wide web and getting proposals which were not productive, I thought my life was done. Living minus the solutions to the problems you have fixed through your entire write-up is a crucial case, as well as ones which may have in a negative way damaged my entire career if I hadn’t encountered your site. Your main skills and kindness in taking care of every aspect was excellent. I don’t know what I would have done if I hadn’t come across such a step like this. I can also at this point look ahead to my future. Thank you very much for the impressive and sensible help. I will not hesitate to suggest the blog to any individual who requires guidelines about this topic.
I would like to show appreciation to the writer just for bailing me out of this type of condition. Just after checking through the internet and finding tips which were not helpful, I thought my entire life was well over. Being alive minus the approaches to the difficulties you’ve solved all through your main review is a crucial case, and ones that would have in a negative way affected my entire career if I hadn’t discovered your blog. Your actual skills and kindness in controlling all the details was very helpful. I don’t know what I would’ve done if I had not come across such a step like this. I can also at this moment look forward to my future. Thanks a lot very much for the professional and effective guide. I will not think twice to suggest your blog to any individual who should have assistance about this subject.
My spouse and i were excited that Chris managed to conclude his studies through the ideas he came across out of the web pages. It is now and again perplexing to just always be giving away tips and tricks which usually men and women might have been making money from. We figure out we’ve got the website owner to give thanks to because of that. The type of illustrations you have made, the straightforward website menu, the friendships you can help promote – it’s most excellent, and it’s really aiding our son in addition to our family believe that that matter is exciting, and that is especially pressing. Many thanks for all!